Michael Brown Homepage
Professor of Physics, Chair
- Doc Brown taught Plasma Physics (Physics138) and advanced physics lab in the spring of 2003.
- Doc Brown taught Electrodynamics (Physics112) and advanced physics lab (Physics82) in the fall of 2003.
- Doc Brown taught Math Methods (Physics50) and advanced physics lab (Physics82) and senior honors study (Physics199) in the spring of 2004.
- Doc Brown taught (Astronomy1) and advanced physics lab (Physics82) in the fall of 2004.
- Doc Brown taught Statistical Mechanics (Physics114), Math Methods (Physics50), and advanced physics lab (Physics82) in the spring of 2005.
- Doc Brown was on leave Fall 2005/Spring 2006.
- Doc Brown taught Physics5 Fall 2006.
- Doc Brown taught Astro1 Spring 2007.
- Doc Brown taught Physics5 Fall 2007.
- Doc Brown taught Plasma Physics Physics138 Spring 2008.
- Doc Brown taught Physics5 Fall 2008.
- Doc Brown taught Stat Mech Physics114 Spring 2009.
- Doc Brown was on leave Fall 2009/Spring 2010.
- Doc Brown taught Energy Seminar and Electrodynamics (Physics112) Fall 2010.
- Doc Brown taught Statistical Mechanics (Physics114), and electronics (Physics81/82) Spring 2011.
- Doc Brown taught Energy Seminar, Electronics, and Plasma Reading Fall 2011.
- Doc Brown taught Statistical Mechanics (Physics114), and electronics (Physics81/82) Spring 2012.
- Doc Brown taught Electrodynamics (Physics8) Fall 2012.
- Doc Brown taught Statistical Mechanics (Physics114), and electronics (Physics81/82) Spring 2013.
- Doc Brown is on leave Fall 2013/Spring 2014.
First Year Seminar on Energy:
- MB has offered a new first year seminar on Energy.
APS Award for Research at an Undergraduate Institution:
- plasma physics (SSX lab)
- magnetic confinement fusion (spheromaks, FRCs)
- magnetic reconnection (3D structure, particle acceleration, turbulence)
- self organization in space and laboratory plasmas
- solar physics (dynamo, coronal heating)
- here are some useful URLs
- here is the Department of Physics/Astronomy
Senior honors/published alums (SSX and dynamo):
- Ken Flanagan '12 (Wisconsin)
- Xingyu Zhang '12 (Harvard)
- Darren Weinhold '12
- Dan Dandurand '11 (Berkeley, DOE Fellow)
- Vernon Chaplin '07 (APS Apker finalist, Caltech, DOE Fellow)
- Jason Horwitz '07
- Jerome Fung '06 (Harvard, APS-DPP student award 2005)
- Aongus O Murchadha '05 (Wisconsin)
- Matt Landreman '03 (APS Apker finalist, Rhodes Scholar, NSF Fellow, APS-DPP award 2002, Oxford, MIT)
- Abram Falk '03 (Harvard, UCSB/Chicago)
- Andrew Fefferman '03 (Cornell)
- Dave Schlossberg '01(Wisconsin)
- Tim Gray '01 (Princeton, Swarthmore)
- Amy Reighard '01 (Michigan, LLNL)
- Dave Auerbach '01 (UCLA)
- Slava Lukin '00 (NSF Fellow, DOE Fellow, Princeton, NRL)
- Walter Luh '99 (Stanford)
- Tom Kornack '98 (DOE Fellow, Princeton)
- Josh Lifton '98 (MIT)
- Cameron Geddes '97 (APS Apker winner, Hertz Fellow, Berkeley, LBL)
Other student researchers:
- Emily Hudson '17
- Peter Weck '15
- Adrian Wan '15 (APS-DPP student award 2014)
- Jeffrey Owusu-Boateng '16
- Ezra Day-Roberts '13 (Minn)
- Alexandra Werth '14 (Princeton Eng)
- Mike Fisher '14 (Michigan Eng)
- Max Korein '11 (CMU)
- Bevan Gerber-Siff '10
- Ed Dewey '10
- Kevin Labe '11 (Chicago)
- Jeff Santner '09 (Princeton Eng)
- Lake Bookman '08
- Anna Phillips '10
- Marc Chang '06
- Zack Michielli '06
- Victoria Swisher '06
- Rachel Sapiro '04 (Michigan)
- Aaron Modic '04
- David Murphy '03
- Keith Gilmore '01
- Peter Sollins '98
- Erik Henriksen '97 (Washington University faculty)
- Eric Engstrom '96
- Charles Danforth '95
Experience and Education:
- 1994-2014 Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA
- 1993-1994 Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA
- 1987-1994 Caltech, Senior Research Fellow
- 1987 Dartmouth, PhD, Physics
- 1981 Pomona, BA, Physics
Here's a copy of my CV.
Here are some of my papers.
Here are some pretty pictures of the sun.
Here are some pretty pictures of my family (Dawn, Leah (28), Violet (19), and Zoe (15)) and the SSX-2002 research group (postdoc Chris Cothran, Matt, Andrew, Abram, Rachel, doc). Leah is a graduate of Mount Holyoke College 2003-7. Violet now attends Carleton College